Julie's Elizabethan Merchant

Cuz pumpkin pants are so IN this summer...

Friday, June 16, 2006

More Practice

Well, I've got pretty complicated plans for the hubby's thunderhosen project. They keep changing, so I'm not even entirely sure what's going on with that at the moment.

In the meantime, I figured a bit more work acquainting myself with men's garb was in order. I recently tinkered in menswear with the flemish man project, but its a rather unstructured garment compared to later elizabethan wear, so I think I'm just working my way up.

I bought some very bright red wool (think superman's cape) from trimfabrics.com for a pretty good deal, and I think it deserves to be something. That something is a middle class (merchanty) elizabethan costume.

Once again, I set hubby to draw himself something he'd like to wear (within precise specifications, of course), and this is what he came up with:


concept sketch

Yes, those are peacock feathers in his cap. Luckily, i've got vases of them in my house, so i'll gladly sacrifice a few! I'll say nothing of the liberties he's taken with the codpiece....

Anyway, it'll be red wool and black linen. I'll probably slash the slops a bit, and I think I'm going to try to use deep maroon piping around the doublet (and on the slops' panes if i have enough).

Now...back to daydreaming and procrastinating....

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Methinks I see canions??

9:14 AM  
Blogger Julebug said...

Yup! I convinced him! Huzzah! He's not having canions on his thunderhosen, and I like variety. :)

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home